This is a hot and sweet Indian side dish that goes well with Plain Paratha, Phulka and Rice
Sweet Potato Masala FryThis is a hot and sweet Indian side dish that goes well with Plain Paratha, Phulka and RiceTeena Mathew
Dried red chili
Mustard seed -
- Wash and peel the sweet potato. Cut into small cubes.
- Boil the sweet potato with a couple of pinches of salt until cooked through.
- Strain and keep aside.
- Chop onion ( need not be finely diced). Cut the green chilli into 2 and then slit each half.
- Using a mortar and pestle to crush cumin seeds. Add the peeled garlic pods and crush along with the cumin seeds and keep aside.
- In a heated fry pan, pour oil and add in the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add dried red chilli and sauté for 5 seconds.
- Add urad dal and fry until they turn light brown. Add in the green chilli and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped onion. Sauté for a minute and add the crushed cumin and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add the cooked(boiled) sweet potato. Sprinkle salt as per your taste.
- Fry until the sweet potato turns light brown on the sides.