This is a one pot comfort food which can be prepared quickly with simple and everyday ingredients
Khichdi - One Pot MealThis is a one pot comfort food which can be prepared quickly with simple and everyday ingredientsTeena Mathew
Toor Dal -
Onion medium size -
Tomato small size -
Ginger - piece
Green chili -
Turmeric Powder -
Chili powder -
Garam Masala -
2.5 to 3 cups
Corriander leaves chopped -
For Tempering (Tadka)
Garlic chopped -
Dried Red chili -
- For Khichdi: Wash rice grain and Toor dal (lentil) and soak in water while the preparation is in progress
- Pour oil in a pressure cooker and add chopped onion, chopped green chili and grated ginger.
- Sauté this mixture until the onion turn slightly brown on the edges. Add salt, turmeric and chili powder. Fry until the rawness of the masala added goes away.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté until soft.
- Add the soaked rice and toor dal. Pour in the water mix well. Cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Wait until the steam releases off the cooker. Sprinkle garam masala and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- For the Tadka/Tempering:
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the jeera and let splutter. Add in the red chili and chopped garlic. Reduce flame to SIM at this point. Wait until the garlic turns slightly brown. Remove the pan from heat and add in the asafetida.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared rice and mix well.
- Serve hot with pickle and papad.