Double ka meetha is a dessert of Hyderabad and made from hot crisp fried roundels of bread, soaked in saffron and cardamom-flavoured syrup, topped with cream.
Double ka MeethaDouble ka meetha is a dessert of Hyderabad and made from hot crisp fried roundels of bread, soaked in saffron and cardamom-flavoured syrup, topped with cream.Teena Mathew
Oil for frying
Cardomon essence/ powder/ crushed Teaspoon
- Mix 150 gm of sugar and water in a saucepan. Boil on low heat until it form a thick syrup. Keep aside
- Pour the milk into a non stick thick bottomed skillet. Add the saffron strands and the remaining 50 gm of sugar. On low heat reduce the milk to a little less than half the volume
- Add 1 teaspoon of Cardamom essence and boil for about a minute on low flame. Alternatively if using cardamom powder add 1 teaspoon to the milk. If using pods, crush the pods and add to the reduced milk.
- Cut three bread slices diagonally to create triangle shaped pieces. Fry the bread pieces until slightly golden brown.
- Immerse the bread pieces one at a time into the sugar syrup. Leave each piece in the sugar syrup for about 10 - 15 seconds.
- Pour the reduced milk containing saffron and cardamom on to each bread slice.
- Optional - Garnish with pistachios and almonds.
Chill in refrigerator.